Thursday, October 6, 2011

To Renaissance or Not to Renaissance


   Thursday Threads: To Renaissance or Not to Renaissance

   The Minnesota Renaissance Festival has finished another season of comedy, dancing, music and lots of dusty air.  The MN Festival is well known and often called one of the best in the country, mainly because of it's stationary location and actual buildings instead of tents.  I, too, have had a lot of fun out there and have long dreamed of being part of the magical realm, though, recently, I have been coming out of the magic of it, having gone so often, seen all the shows I want and eaten all of my favorite foods numerous times.  Sometimes, I don't know how they all do this every weekend, especially the women in the large, upholstery gowns.  Heat stroke, anyone?

   This year, there was an article in the Star Tribune about the historical accuracy at the Renaissance Festival.  Costume wise, the festival does present more of a Tudor period in the Royal Court Costuming, but the overall festival is really all over the place.  From Medieval, to Renaissance, to Tudor and Elizabethan, the garments present among the festival employees and volunteers can vary greatly (not to mention the pedestrians who go in costume, such as myself).

   Now, I know my costume is not historically accurate.  I often go as a "gypsy" and participate in the middle eastern dancing, when really, in the Middle Eastern Renaissance, the women would have been covered from head to toe for modesty, just like many women in the area still are today.  We parade as "gypsies" so we can get away with our eclectic ensembles and avoid most criticism.

   In light of the variety of eras and the variety of creatures (Fairies, satyrs, etc..), this festival in my mind is hence forth re-dubbed the Fantasy Festival.  It's far more appropriate, considering, and many, if not most, fantasy stories contain fragments of real history.  If you go there expecting a good time, full of fantasy and magic, you'll have a good time. Though, one thing real history and the Renaissance festival have in common, no indoor plumbing.  I wish the festival were more contemporary in that aspect.

   The inaccuracy has never really bothered me, I highly enjoy the variety of people and creatures I see out there every year.  I would like to comment on my very favorites this past year.  She may have overshadowed the famous Twig the Fairy, but the new Satyr is both creative and adorable.  Her hooves are magnificent.  Metal heel backs, hooves jutting out in front (must be crazy difficult to walk in), and a mass of freckles on her face, a new great character to add the fun of the festival.


No comments:

Post a Comment