Monday, October 17, 2011

"Hairspray" at the Chanhassen!


   I know I usually reserve Mondays for wedding gown related content, but I went and saw "Hairspray" at the Chanhassen Dinner Theaters this weekend.  I helped build the costumes for this show and let me tell you, completely unbiased, this show was amazing! I think everyone would enjoy it, even if you aren't usually a theater fan.

   I already did post a short blog about some of the costumes that I worked on for the show, but there is something about seeing them alive on stage that shows them in a whole new light. 

   All the the colors and costumes together, in each scene, mesh and blend amazingly.  This is something designer, Rich Hamson, has a knack for.  Occasionally, while working on one of his shows, I look at some of the outrageous patterns he chooses in his fabric and think, "How is this ever going to translate on stage?"  My eye is getting better, I am noticing, as I ask this less often.  However, each piece looks perfectly poised and meant to belong in each scene, on it's chosen character, nothing ever looks over the top unless that is it's purpose.  He often layers shears over his outrageous patterns, to dilute them somewhat, and it actually makes the garment more exuberant than before.  The color palette in each scene and throughout the entire show is clearly defined, but not overwhelming and often cleverly done by mixing colors you would think might never go together.  Rich is a natural when is comes to color and style and shows this well in CDT's current production.

   Above is the preview for the show, take a look! If you are a theater, music, dance or costume fan, this show will definitely keep your attention!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment