Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Once Upon A Time...


   I watched ABC's new series Once Upon A Time this past weekend.  I had been waiting for weeks for this show. I love fairy tales, princesses, and, of course, fantasy costumes.

   As far as the show went, I quite enjoyed it.  I thought parts of it could have been done better, but the way the episode split between the past and present, the fairytale world and the real world, was really clever.  However, I found a couple things disappointing in the look of the show.

  As many of you know, I am a very big fan of wedding gowns.  Ginnifer Goodwin's wedding gowns as Snow White, to me, felt boring and too conventional for a fairy-tale wedding dress.  Yes, the skirt is covered in fluff and feathers, but it's not at all different from what we see on the runway in today's fashion market.  Into a magical land where outfits can be as extravagant as possible, and this is what the designer comes up with.  Snow White's dress that she wakes up in, in her coffin, is far more beautiful than her boring, yet overly done skirt, of a wedding dress.

   Now, my biggest annoyance of this episode was not the dress, but the hair.  Goodwin's wigs were just awful, there was nothing redeeming about them.  For her wedding day, it looks as though she got her hair done for her wedding... went to bed and then got up the next morning to get married.  The wig looks like a wig.. which is not what you want a wig to do.  It looks ratted and far too thick and frizzy.  Also, the hair color is not dark enough for my liking.  If she's wearing a wig anyway, why not make it as "black as ebony" like it is supposed to be. So far, not fitting the classic Snow White description... which is kind of important since it's her hair that makes her skin look so snow white.

  Not just her wig, but I am not a fan of her actual haircut in the real world.  I like a pixie cut when it fits the face, but Goodwin could do much better with a bit longer hair.  According to my father-in-law, who may not be a hair expert, but still made a valid point, said she looked like a cancer patient.  And I don't know if it's just the way her hair is shaped, but he's not wrong.

   My final take on the show is that it is entertaining and I am definitely going to continue watching, but I hope they take a look at the costumes and say, "Hey.. that could be better!"




2 comments:

  1. YES! I knew you'd hate that dress and hair as much as I did. I felt exactly like I did when I watched Heroes for the first time - that the concept was SO AWESOME but that something was lacking in the execution of that awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Can I also comment on the evil witch's soldiers and their crazy Rastafarian helmets? They looked like plastic dreads springing forth from a normal looking helmet. More comical than scary really.

    ReplyDelete