Monday, May 10, 2010

Wedding Dresses!


(Justin Alexander Dress- 2010)
Let me say, for the first time in this blog, I am obsessed with wedding dresses! Aside from prom, which tends to be tacky, a wedding gown is the only dress an average woman gets to where in this era that is completely extravagant. It can be a ballgown or a chic, slender silhouette. It's a combined fashion and costume. It can be as simple or as detailed as a bride desires.

I've made one wedding gown for a client so far, simple, but it turned out quite beautiful. I just used a commercial pattern to save on the cost of time. After that experience, I would love to do it again, but explore into designing them myself and perfecting detail work.

Now, I am working on my own wedding gown (mock-up image below). I am creating the whole pattern from scratch and have most of it completed. I just have to finish a few detail decisions. Like, whether or not to use tulle or chiffon in my skirt. Tulle is actually in right now, according to Brides.com. The top is completely lace, a lace which took some time to hunt down. Half the cost of a wedding gown is just the fabric...

I do, however, have one problem with the wedding gown... well, with one type of wedding gown. The satin, strapless, A-line gown- I call, the "Every-Dress". It's a very popular and very affordable silhouette, but I've seen much better dresses. Like I said, this is the one time we get to dress up in a gown, something we wouldn't wear every day. It should be unique, and I don't mean one-of-a-kind, but something unique to the day. There should be something special about the dress and it doesn't have to be expensive to do it.

2 comments:

  1. No matter what you create, you will be beautiful. You're in love, so you could wear a sack and still be the belle of the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally, I agree that wearing a beautiful gown, especially one you design yourself, creates a feeling of satisfaction.
    \I love dressing up myself. I am so glad someone in the family is caring on the tradition of sewing. I look at my great grandmothers gown and am amazed by the detail and embroidery. You will shine on your wedding day.

    ReplyDelete