Friday, March 12, 2010

Sailor Jupiter- Post 2

Puffy sleeves, waistbands and bows, oh my!

The next few patterns I just kind of went for. I measured out the armscye and the bottom waistband and just kind of went from there. The bow I drew freehand and evened it out using both a straight ruler and a curved ruler.
I stuffed the waistband and the sleeves with regular polyester fiber fill.
I attached the two pieces of the bow together with a band around the center, so it looks like a regular tied bow. Inside the top part of the bow, I also added a few layers of tulle for stability. It just makes the bow a little more stiff, so the fabric doesn't sag. I love my bow!! It's so cute!

Up next was the Fuku collar off the back. I actually just used the commercial pattern as is for this one. I bought white satin ribbon for the stripes, though looking back I probably should have gotten something on the bias because of the curve around the front. It looks fine, but it could have curved better.
The zipper was the hardest part. Putting a zipper in stretchy lyrca fabric is very difficult when the fabric wants to pucker. But I think I got it worked out. Just a slow process and removing a few stitches here and there.

Next to go are the skirt and the gloves. I am using the basic skirt pattern from the commercial pattern and adding a lot of length to it (silly tall girls) and for the gloves I am also using a commercial pattern with a few additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment