Monday, August 16, 2010

Costumed Fantasy!

I recently watched two movies that, even if they were terrible, could be watched solely for the costumes. As it turns out neither were terrible, but I did like one more than the other for both costume and story.

From Costumes By Ally
From Costumes By Ally

Both amazing costumes! Colleen Atwood, who did Alice in Wonderland and many other Burton films, is one of my favorite designers. However, Beatrix Aruna Pasztor could give her a run for her money.

Alice in Wonderland:
The costumes were fantastic! Atwood's work always is. She has a very distinct style that I find quite appealing. Her period work is more inspired by the select time period spliced with her own eye for creativity and design. The designs are also complex (youtube costume link).

However, the design of the Mad Hatter I thought was a bit too much. There is a great flashback scene, where you see a bit younger Hatter while working for the White Queen. Both his hair and makeup in this scene better fit the character. I found the bright orange and the extreme pale face far too similar to that of a clown to make me comfortable... (I don't like clowns...)

The Secret of Moonacre:
My favorite of the two! This is a movie I would have been obsessed with between the ages of 8 and 12. Such a sweet story with fabulous costumes. This is definitely a costume movie based around a time period, set in a fantasy world.

The Maria's (The lead's) dresses have fantastic cage bustles in the back, but not underneath as you would think. The bustles are actually built into the dress! Each dress has beautiful embroidery, so intricate and detailed. I also found the men's styling to be intriguing, with Robin's (Evil De Noir's son) period, yet contemporary punk look. Not to mention the great scene when you get to see undergarments like the bum pad! All great costume movies have an undergarments scene!






1 comment:

  1. Ally! You gotta post pictures of your wedding dress up here! Lots and lots of pretty wedding photos!

    ReplyDelete